Sunday, May 24, 2020

Back to climbing after 2 months of quarantine

Every time I take a break from climbing, the body does not get the specific arm-pulling / lower back holding up legs / legs in lunge position / feet balancing on toes while I clip a rope to a quickdraw - type training. So when I get back to the wall, everything feels hard again. Pulling feels difficult; balancing on the wall feels unfamiliar; legs are shaky; the height / the wind raise the heart rate; calves can cramp up; the hips tweak in funny ways as I attempt to high step at a funny angle; a low level climb feels insecure; the hand skin start to hurt after a few short climbs. I don't yet get to climb at a level that gives me huge forearm burns, but my toes, the skin on my hands, my lower back all tell me "enough" after 4-5 beginner level routes.

During the quarantine, I have tried to do some hang boarding. They don't really help with the lower level climbs that don't require so much finger strengths. I have improved in my push ups and handstands against the walls, but my shoulders don't love this much heavy usage, so I have to take it easy.

I had the same approach as when I was young that I wanted to move up the grade difficulties. However, it's looking more and more like I will be climbing 6s/7s (6a's/6b's) 5.10 ranges forever due to this aging body. Maybe I need to change my approach to the sport, and focus on other things instead like breathing, smoothness of movements, and foot placement. I should stop worrying about grades and just focus on the joy of being on a climbing wall, enjoying the movement, being in balance, breathing smoothly, and conquer the fear of falling (secured with a rope of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment