Monday, February 25, 2019

Still don't have a good grasp of body awareness

There is this spot on my back on the right - not sure if it's the trapezius (trap) or the infraspinatus - that seemed to be bunched up after half a day of climbing. It was mostly aggravated when I moved my neck (so probably is the trap), but I felt like it didn't affect my climbing of easy routes so I kept going until my full body felt tired.

The next day when I woke up, my neck was sore (it always gets sore from climbing), and I felt like I probably shouldn't move my head too much because that knot really bugged me. I managed to get through the day being careful about how I moved. In the evening I decided to take an easy online yoga class. I could feel the presence of the knot in standing forward folds and downward facing dogs.

Towards the end of the class, when the teacher gets into a headstand, I thought I would give it a try, but for sure I wouldn't be able to make it with my sore neck and this knot in my trap. Turns out I could hold a sirsasana for like 20 seconds with a sore neck and the knot wasn't aggravated. 

Then the teacher went into urdhva dhanurasana (wheel pose) and I thought, this would for sure send my right trap into shooting pain. Nope. The pose felt strong. It didn't aggravate nor did it ease the tension in the knot.

This made me so confused. It's like an itch that can't be scratched. Neither climbing - arms pulling in different angles nor pushing - chaturanga, headstand, or wheel gets to this tension spot. Where the hell is this tension located? I tried some stretching... couldn't get to it.

I'm sure a good massage therapist would find it in no time and alleviate the blockage by pressing into it. Until then, it's a mystery tension that I'm hoping will go away on its own in a few days. I wish to understand my body better through yoga and climbing, but seems like these activities are not enough. Would be nice to take an in-depth anatomy/physiology class some day to get to know my body better.

No comments:

Post a Comment