Sunday, August 18, 2019

Why do I climb?

I just purchased a book called "Why We Climb" by Chris Nobel, which includes a compilation of answers from world famous climbers, along with amazing photos of these climbers performing their wall gymnastic in gorgeous places all over the world.

I look at how people around me spend their free time. People sunbathe, go to cafes, hang out with friends, play sports, go shopping, watch TV, go to the movies, play video games, surf the internet, hike, travel, you name it. To me, climbing isn't any more or less pointless than these activities. In Vancouver, my Canadian friends are super active. They ski, surf, run marathons, participate in the Iron Man, hike, go to CrossFit, you name it, they do it. I used to be in awe of how active they are. I could do yoga 3 times a week and go hiking occasionally on the weekend and that was about it. Once I moved to to Europe, I was among people that were much less active.  People will try activities, but all have trouble sticking to a regular routine (me included). We are all older and busier. It is extremely difficult to get together to do any sort of sporty activity together. Many with kids would consider 30minute post-dinner walk with their children to be all they can muster to give their muscles and hearts/lungs a work out.

Climbing... it's a fun, meditative, addictive, intense, exhilarating activity, so why not. It works the muscles, the tendons, and is pretty cardio-intensive as well. The other day, I found out that I am unable to try hard moves if my heart rates are too high. This solves the question that I always had for myself: when I am running, is the heart rate or the muscle soreness more limiting for me? Answer: heart rate -- my cardio can definitely use some improvements.

So how did the author manage to fill an entire book with answers to why people climb? According to him, he set out to write this book to find out more about answers as to why this activity brings him more joy than anything else in life. He wishes he could be young again so he could spend even more time climbing. I guess I haven't personally come across people who live in a van next to a mountain range so they can spend most of their waking lives climbing. For them, this question is more profound than for the recreational hobby climber.

I think a large part of climbing has to do with the desire to be closer to nature, to conquer a big wall,  to reach for the top, and to challenge oneself physically and mentally. I think a lot of business workaholics have the same desire, but they want to be closer to big fortune, and to overpower other people. Climbing seems so much healthier and less harmful compare to making billions of dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment