Sunday, February 15, 2015

Back to hot yoga

I finally managed to drag my ass to bikram yoga class... I would prefer to take up an Ashtanga regime, but I have to take into account of studio location, convenience (times of day I can go to class), and price. Based on these criteria, Bikram won out. It is really good to get back into some sort of exercise routine.. my body needed that. The first class I went, my quads were really hurting from stretches. I had no clue that my quads were that tight.... Shows how little I know about my body. My hamstrings also ached from forward bend stretches, but that was an enjoyable ache. However I'm not exactly sure if I should enjoy this kind of stretching aches. A positive thing is that my calves also get stretched in the process, so hopefully I won't be getting calf cramps in the middle of the night any more. My feet do still get cramps during class though (in Eagle pose and pashimottanasana A), so I still do carry some tension in the body. Hopefully they will go away soon.

My cardio has always been terrible, and in the Bikram room often my heart/lung feel the intensity more than my muscles. Even though this is not "true cardio" (not like running, swimming or jogging), I figure it'll still help my heart improve a little bit before I get started on real cardio workouts. It's been tremendously difficult to get started on any kind of exercise routine for me so even a baby step it a move towards the right direction.

My focus really should be on strengthening rather than stretching (except for the calves of course). If possible I should try to haul my ass into the gym as well.

I've been feeling less anxious than before.. probably a combination of yoga and an improvement to my current situation. I don't think I should take a break from yoga for such a long time in the future... was really sinking back into the feeling of anxiety, tension, helplessness, fear, and low self worth. Exercise is as essential as food and sleep in life.

3 comments:

  1. reading your posts has been helpful & enjoyable. I relate very much. I practice heated viyassa flow & it helps my mood a lot. My mother died in July & I feel depressed but am reluctant to take medication. Meeting with a dr in 2 weeks to talk about this. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,

      I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad you are practicing self compassion and self care. I'm sure your mother would want you to take care of yourself. It's also really nice to hear that you are going to see a doctor for advice. But please do keep practicing yoga.. it really helps with stress and rumination. I hope that yoga (and maybe the community) will help you get through this difficult time.

      Sincerely,
      YYogini

      Delete
  2. Vinyassa* sorry it is late & I am on my phone writing

    ReplyDelete